Monday, September 29, 2008

Dear Diary 13

Dear Diary,

The days are zooming by faster and faster. Weekends always seem to go by too fast anyway. Mine was pretty good. My husband and I went to the movies Friday. He has a friend who works in a movie theater and we get to see as many movies as we want. We saw Lakeview Terrace, The Family That Preys, and Nights in Rodanthe. I think Samuel Jackson's performance in Lakeview Terrace and Sanaa Lathan's performance in Preys were some of their best work. Both movies were pretty good.

Nights in Rodanthe is the movie that stuck with me. Diane Lane and Richard Gere were the stars. It was a good movie to see with my mate. I don't want to say too much about it, but the movie demonstrated how people come into your life for a reason and even if it's only for a short period of time, they can have a huge impact.

After seeing the movie, I thought about my father. It's so important to tell the people we love how we feel about them. I found out that my father passed away on his birthday. He had a heart attack and way lying on his bedroom floor for a few days before his landlord found him. I loved my father very much, but didn't always verbalize it. We said, "I love you," to one another from time to time. Because of the way he died, I wasn't able to talk to him before he passed away. That was ten years ago and I still think about it every day.

I make it a point to say those three important words to all those I feel them for now, just in case. You never know what could happen. I miss my daddy so much. I'm glad I have good memories of him. I'm also glad I have so many things that I know I got from him like his love of sports and music, his creativity (he was a photographer and writer), his love of reading, and even his mean streak.

Whenever I spoke to my father he would always close the conversation with, "Don't take no wooden nickels." I've kept that with me. My father was not one to let people get over on or disrespect him. He definitely passed that on to me. I just hope that when he's looking down on me, he's smiling with pride and saying, "You're doing a good job Bugaloo."

Until Tomorrow...

2 comments:

A Free Spirit Butterfly said...

Here's a hug from me to you in honor of your dad. Although I met mine a couple of years ago, I'm so grateful that he opened his arms and life to me. I know at least 3 people who shared that they found their birth parent and the parent asked them not to contact them anymore.

Speaking of movies, I read the book Nights in Rodanthe. I love Nicohlas Sparks. If you have some xtra time put the book the Wedding on your list (I know, xtra time, what's that?) You will be so pleasantly surprised w/the outcome.

Lastly, you forgot to put the fact that you've got the hook-up at the theaters on your top 20 things to do in NYC (Smile)

PSS. Humans put so many conditions on Love, I love all of my blog buddies and want all that life has to offer you... goals, dreams and complete happiness!

Strongblkwmn said...

Thanks for the hug. I needed it. I really miss my daddy. I'm glad that you are in contact with your father and I hope that things work out the way you want them to.

You always have such kind words and it is always appreciated.