Monday, September 15, 2008

Dear Diary 5

Dear Diary,

Well, it's Monday. The weekend goes by so fast. I'm at work and it feels like I was just here yesterday. I cherish my days off.

Hubby and I went out with some friends Saturday night. We had a few drinks and laughed about this and that. It's easy to enjoy yourself when you're in good company. You know how you have friends that are family. That's how I feel about the couple we were with.

The night was wonderful, good drinks, good food, and good company. It doesn't get any better than that. My husband and I haven't been out with another couple in a while, so it was nice to talk about topics that couples who've been together for a while have in common.

None of us really wanted to end the night, but they have a two month old and wanted to get a little rest before he woke them up. We dropped them off at their place, which is about 15 minutes away from where we live. Just as we were heading down the path to our building, my husband's cell phone rang.

So, in the span of about twenty minutes, our friends got into a fight that ended up getting physical. She was home alone with her kids and he was gone. My husband and I were in shock and had no idea what to do. We went upstairs, both in a daze, and sat on our terrace trying to figure out what the hell could have happened. We were all having fun and they were hugging and kissing all night like newlyweds.

It turns out the whole thing started with a simple argument that escalated. Residual feelings and emotions came to surface and something tragic ended up being the result. I couldn't get any sleep. One of my friends was MIA and the other was at the hospital getting MRIs and CT-Scans.

I couldn't sleep. All I could think of was the demise another Black family. I'm not even sure I can continue this without crying. Why does it seem like all of our families are falling apart, even as a Black family has the chance of being the first family of the United States? It's scary.

I love my friends will all of my heart and I wish this could be worked out, but how do I tell another Black woman that she should give a man a second chance after he put his hands on her? I just wouldn't feel right. She asked for my opinion and all I could say was, "Do what's right for you."

So, it's Monday, and I have no idea what happened. I'm scared to call and hear that my friend is locked up for hitting his wife. This whole thing is crazy. I know that's not him. Communication is so important in a relationship. It's important that we talk about the things that are bothering us. If my friends would have done that, the entire situation would not have happened. We need our Black families together, raising strong, confident Black children.

I'm not sure what the conclusion to this situation will, or should, be. I don't even know what to say.

Until Tomorrow....

No comments: