Monday, September 22, 2008

Dear Diary 8

Dear Diary,

I had a very relaxing weekend, no hanging out, no nothing. All I did was spend time with my husband. That's my favorite thing to do. We could sit alone in a room for a week and make the best out of it. We always have fun together.

Actually, after 19 years of marriage, we did something kind of cool Saturday. We joined a couple's group. He initially joined because of the incentives, AKA we get paid a thousand bucks over ten weeks, but now he can't stop talking about how much fun it was. We had a really good time getting to know the other couples, discussing different topics, and doing fun exercises. It was great!

We were the O.G.'s, along with one other couple. None of the other couples had been married over eight years. The husbands were just as involved as the wives and I thought that was nice because most of them admitted that their wives made them come. I'm the type of person who takes a little time to warm up to situations, but I felt comfortable immediately.

My husband, like the others, didn't really want to go. He basically did it for me. Even though we've been together for 25 years, I feel like there's always something you can learn. I really apprciate him not only going, but taking a big part in all of the discussions. That's not his thing.

It was only our first time, but we've already learned something. Our arguments can get a little heated and we were taught a technique that will help us keep things from getting out of hand. That's something I was hoping for. We're both really stubborn people and neither one of us are good at backing down. I think what we learned will definitely come in handy.

I'm happy that after all these years we're still in love. We're not together for the kids or convenience we really and truly love one another. We've been through some things that could have sent us over the edge, but we held on to each other and kept it going. We've raised two amazing people, our daughter has her Bachelors in Psychology and Masters in Early Childhood Education and our son graduated second in his high school class and is now a freshman in college. It feels great.

It's not easy to keep your family together. People don't always support you, or want you to succeed. We were young parents and people in our families tried to get us to abort our daughter. For years we held on to one another for dear life, feeling like we were all we had. I think those times laid the foundation for the relationship we have now.

I enjoyed being with my man, doing absolutely nothing. Like I said, it's one of my favorite things to do. I wouldn't trade the times we have alone together for anything.

Until Tomorrow....

2 comments:

A Free Spirit Butterfly said...

I'm going to be just like you when my prince comes along. I want to do couple stuff and for $1,000 I can play the part (smile) I wanted that with my ex but it didn't work out. So for now I'm still discovering me so that I can be sure of what I don't want in a mate. The old me surpressed a lot of feelings and rarely spoke out when I felt taken advantage of and I can't live like that anymore. It takes me a while to open up too, unless I'm blogging (lol) Pass along to your husband that you guys have a lot to be proud of and I'd love a copy of your "How to have a successful marriage" Peace & Blessings!

Strongblkwmn said...

I know that person is out there for you. I'm glad you haven't settled like a lot of our sisters do.

It hasn't been easy staying together. We've had a lot of bumps in the road and still hit some now and then. I can tell that the group is going to help us. Actually, it already has. No matter how long you're together, you never stop learning about each other.