Sunday, May 24, 2009

Dear Diary 49


Dear Diary,

It's Memorial Day weekend and i'm taking this time to remember my dad. He wasn't a veteran or anything, just my daddy. I guess I shouldn't say it that way. My father was such a huge personality. When he was in the room you knew he was there. He was funny and ultra intelligent. He taught me to be well rounded and up on what's going on in the world. I miss him so much. I still talk to him and kiss his picture every day.

I'm also thinking of my grandparents. They were together for over 50 years. My grandfather was a boisterous, rotund man who owned several businesses even though he only had a third grade education. He was such a savvy businessman. I remember being at his burial and seeing a never ending procession of cars. We were walking back to the limos and people were still coming. He was very popular. Everyone in the town knew him and my grandmother. She was his right hand. I can see her smiling as I walked in the family house summer after summer and saying, "Hey bay." I hope my husband and I are lucky enough to have the marriage my grandparents had.

My next door neighbor passed away in his sleep. He was a young man, not even 40, and it was such a shock when he died. His mother found him. His name was Gary and he was so cool. All we did was sit around and laugh and joke around. His mother was his best friend and she has not been the same since his death. Whenever we have a get together at our home I think of him.

It's so hard to lose people you love. It took me a while but I have learned to spend more time remembering the good things than mourning. My father was the first person close to me that left me. I felt empty inside. It took years for me to accept that he was gone. His death taught me a lesson. It made me realize that I had to cherish life and the people I love. You never know what can happen.

I didn't have time with my father before he passed away. His death was sudden. My mother, on the other hand, got to spend two weeks with her mother before she died. When the doctors realized she didn't have much time they told my aunt and uncle, who still live in the small town my mother was born in, to get the family together. All seven of my grandmother's children went to North Carolina. My grandmother lasted much longer than expected. She's always been a very strong woman. I'm sure she enjoyed having all of her children around her.

So, Memorial Day weekend has me reflecting. I really miss those who have gone but I know I will see them again. I'm sure my father is in heaven talking sports and politics and my grandparents are somewhere holding hands. Gary's partying and drinking Belvedere. I miss them all.

Until tomorrow....

3 comments:

Solomon said...

Memorial Day is a time of reflection, and a time to cherish those that are also still in your life.

Hope you have a wonderful Memorial Day!

A Free Spirit Butterfly said...

Love, peace and blessings for a very pleasant stroll down memory lane. Lord willing, there will be one H U G E celebration, when you get to Heaven and reunite with your loved ones. Until then, live your very best life!

Free Spirit.

Strongblkwmn said...

Solomon - I hope you had a wonderful Memorial Day as well.

Butterfly - I'm happy to see you here. I hope your presentation is coming along well.