Saturday, October 4, 2008

Dear Diary 15

Dear Diary,

You never know where your inspiration will come from. I signed up for a writing contest that hadn't begun a while ago and received the email containing the rules earlier today. I've only recently started sharing the things I write with other people and blogging has helped me a lot. Even though I don't receive many comments on either one of my blogs, just having a place to write each day is a big boost.

I had the entry page on my computer screen and, for some reason, I could not bring myself to begin typing. My confidence was lacking. I began to second guess my abilities and wonder if I should even enter. I told myself that a lot of writers would be entering the contest and their styles might overshadow mine because it is very simple. Even though I know i'm an excellent writer, it's still hard for me to share my work. That is why finishing and publishing my novel is so important to me.

Anyway, as I sat in front of my computer I was watching a reality show called, Tabatha's Salon Makeover. Tabatha is a very successful hair stylist who visits salons in trouble and helps the owners to get things in order and save their businesses. I'd never watched the show before but it was on and I think I needed a distraction.

At one point in the show, Tabatha was talking to the stylists and she told them that at the end of a day at her salon she can barely stand because she gives her all to her clients. She said she loves what she does so much and that each client leaves her salon with a piece of her because she puts her heart and soul into what she does. I started to cry.

Writing is what I love and her words touched me. At that moment, her words were what I needed to hear. I turned my chair around and began to type. I didn't stop until I was done. The words of a reality show host had inspired me. The smallest things can make you sit up and take notice. I'm upset that I doubted myself, but glad that I got it togehter.

They say the Lord works in mysterious ways. He always sends the message, it's just up to us to recognize it because you never know where it may come from.

Until Tomorrow....

3 comments:

A Free Spirit Butterfly said...

You're a writer and you can't turn back now. Belive me, I've been writing since I was in the 7th grade. I don't get as many comments either but I love my blog and the supporters that are faithful, but most importantly I support it! It fuels my day aside from my conversations with God. You will be a published author and your mind will drift back to these days when you doubted yourself and laugh. Sometimes doubt is the juice we need to hit the pavement or "keys" so to speak. I believe in you and so do many others. We are usually our worst critics....

PS you forgot to give yourself "1" word on my blog... go back and tell me who you've become!

Don said...

I told myself that a lot of writers would be entering the contest and their styles might overshadow mine because it is very simple.

Same here, same here. I have to constantly remind myself that it's not so much the technique (re: Ralph Wiley was a great writer), but it's more of being able to get your point across. That is what matters the most, what people inhale the most - the story itself.

I entered the Essence Fiction writing contest not really looking to win, just challenge myself.

Good luck.

Strongblkwmn said...

This was a big step for me and i'm glad I went for it. I wrote something that i'm proud of and I learned a lesson. I'll never doubt myself again. Everything happens for a reason.

@ butterfly - I am definitely my own worse critic but i'm getting better.

@ Don - I definitely agree with you. The most important thing is being able to get your point across. I'm learing. My confidence level needs a boost, but i'm getting there.