Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Dear Diary 27

Dear Diary,

Behind, next to, and in front of every strong black woman there is one to match. When I think of my family, i'd definitely say that's true. There are three generations in my immediate, my mother, my sisters and I, my daughter, and niece. We are five very different women, all strong in our own right.

My mother - the matriarch

I've seen my mother tackle many challenges and obstacles in her life. Sometimes it saddens me that things had to be so hard for her. She has so much love in her heart. If she could do for every person she loves she would. She's strong, yet extremely sensitive, and needs to be needed.

If I haven't learned anything else from my mother, I have learned the value of hard work. She will get up and go to work even though her knees hurt or her arthiritis is making it hard to move. There are a lot of times that I feel like turning that alarm clock off and going back to sleep for no good reason, and there are times when I do. There are also those times when I think WWMD (What Would Mom DO) and I get up and go to work.

I tell my mother I love her all the time, but I don't think i've ever told her that I am inspired by her strength. If I could give her the world I would, just so she could take a break and relax.

The matriarch begat:

Me - The oldest

The martriarch's first born. It's hard for me to describe myself of say what I bring to the table without feeling funny. I'll just say that people tell me I look just like my mother and my sister always says I have her strength. I'm a wife and mother who loves her family with all her heart and would do anything for them.

I've made some mistakes, but for the most part i've had a pretty good life and, hopefully, set a good example for those who came after me. My mistakes made it a little easier for:

Char - The crazy middle child with no middle name

The one who makes everyone laugh. She has a smile that brightens up a room. If you're sensitive or don't like to laugh, stay away. She can hook up some hair and cleans with a fierceness. You can eat off her floor. She has that childlike quality that makes everyone smile.

She's Ms. Stiletto, with a great fashion sense. Ms. Sensitivity who doesn't like hurting anyone and wants everyone to get along. This girl just wants to have fun. When she hurts, she hurts deep and that's also the way she loves. She came nine years after the oldest and three years later came:

Yvette - Baby Girl the cook

She has a regal spirit and an old soul, and is serious, yet fun. Watches cooking shows and makes the best garlic broccoli i've ever tasted. (LOL) She's the youngest, but wiser than most. You can tell when you speak to her. She has that mama face that tells you she's not playing, but no intention on having any children.

She was the baby in the family and then the oldest had a baby and along came:

Lamika - First grandchild the teacher

My daughter. She came into my life at a time when I wasn't ready to be a mother but prepared myself nonetheless. Because of her I learned of the fight I had inside of me. She is here because of it. She's been curious from birth and became the first of us all to earn not one, but two college degrees.

She takes the minds of children into her hands and molds them each and every day. What a huge responsibility. I don't think there's any way I could be any prouder of the woman she has become. She stands tall and walks with pride. I am impressed every day. She spent years being the only granddaughter and Char blessed us all with:

Andrette - the talker

She's only 13 in age, but wise way beyond her years. If you talk to her you can tell there's something in store for her. She loves unconditionally and fully, always wanting to hug. I smile when I think about her. I see her future, it's bright. She may have to dust her glasses off a little to see how worthy of it she is, but it'll happen in time. We all know those teen years are rough, but she'll make it through.

Three generations loving each other, molding each other, making the way for each other. That's what strong black women do. It's a beautiful thing to be able to look to the right, left, and back of you and know that there's someone there holding you down, ready to listen, teach, and pay forward all that they receive.

Until tomorrow....

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! We all are very different in our own way, but still get along. I love the way you broke that down. You are 100% correct my wise sister. I am very proud of us all. Keep up the good work. Can't wait to read your book :-)

Unknown said...

Yeah, what's with the book?

Strongblkwmn said...

I'm editing. It's going to take me a while to have it ready.

SLC said...

Hi SBW.
This is an awesome post about some awesome ladies. Strength definitely runs in the family.

SLC